Have this happened to you, you sit for dinner and the table just sounds hollow. This surely is the reason for termites’ infestation. Once the termites make their way to your home they can destroy the extravagant furniture and foundation of your home, as they feed on wood.
Termites are very strenuous to get rid of especially because of their inconsiderable size.
One of the biggest reasons that termites are hard to deal with, is they are only detected when they did considerable damage. Which makes pest control even more necessary. Termites live in large colonies in 1000 numbers that make it very hard to get rid of them.
How termites enter your house:
Termites are tiny species that create mud tubes (as small as ¼ inch) that connect the ground to your house, furniture, etc.
- Termites are attracted to wood as they feed on wood it doesn’t matter to them that it is moist wood or dry wood.
- As all other pests mostly attracted to moisture termites also tend to be fall in love with moist soil, even nothing better than having moist soil to create mud tubes for them.
- They also appear to have fun living in warm places. They tend to be undistributed so they find an opportune place to hide like empty pipes and tubes.
Know where they hide:
Prevention is the foremost technique to get rid of termites as it is essential to know where you have the problem of infestation for getting relieved from that.
- Moisture is the main reason that invites termites inside your home; it is the absolute necessity for any pest including termites’ colonies. Getting rid of the excess moisture, leaks from the house will prevent your home from termites as well as from all other pests too.
- Examine the foundation of your house regularly several times throughout the year to make sure that there is no sign of damage so that you can take action if there is any termite damage.
- Termites love feeding on wood and soil and if they are provided wood joint with the soil there is nothing more than that to them. So to prevent termites enter your home keep wood and soil at distance.
- Same as wood termites also feed on paper, cardboard boxes, they can come and make the pile of newspaper their home and stay to your home forever, so make sure to clear the clutter from your house and use plastic boxes instead of cardboard boxes.
- While choosing the expensive furniture for your home make sure to check on the quality of wood that has been used to make the sofa or bed you are buying. Inspect sufficiently to make sure that wood is sprayed by borate (chemical sprayed on wood to repel termites it socks into the wood) before painting and priming so that it will not attract termite infestation.
Treatment of termites:
- Maintain proper ventilation and sealing as they are the key terms to check on moisture. Without proper ventilation to underground or attics can build condensation there which makes it perfect place for termites to live in or as well as some other pest too.
- Place an infected object indirect light of the sun for at least three consecutive days, as termites can’t stand the heat.
- While constructing the house make sure to consider at least an 18-inch gap between wood and soil, which is enough to keep termites at bay. A straightforward method is the use of a gravel bed to hold the termites at distance.
- As we have already discussed that termites can’t stand the heat, so heat the temperature to at least 120°F for more than half-hour will kill the termites.
The use of pesticide or pest control services can also give you relaxation from the termites, although you can always use natural ways to treat pests or termites.
After the home termite treatment problem you can consider doing prevention so that they don’t make an entrance to your home ever again.