What if a child swallows toxic mosquito repellent?

Mosquito repellent or insect repellent for home doesn’t consider a pesticide by many people. But the truth is the active ingredients present in any insect killer, be it mosquito repellent are pesticides and may be harmful if not carried with precautions.

Mosquito repellent like vaporizer, coil, and spray becomes part of everyone's daily routine nowadays. In almost every residence these bug repellents are used every night, without knowing the consequences they can cause to you and your family.

You can use Organic Mosquito Killer instead t get rid of mosquitoes.

Types of mosquito repellent

To repel the mosquito problem there are tons of products are available. Mosquito repellent is mostly available in the form of liquid, vaporizer, coil, and spray.

Toxicity of mosquito repellent

Bug repellents are toxic even if inhaled or absorbed by the skin. Almost every bug repellent or mosquito repellent consists of two types of ingredients.

  1. Active Ingredients
  2. Inert Ingredients


Active ingredient in bug repellent

Active Ingredients

Active ingredients are substances that are chemicals and the reason for killing the pest. These substances are toxic to pets and humans as well if inhaled or ingest in some way. The most common active substances which can be found in bug repellent are


Chemical formula of Deet is N, N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide which is very effective against bugs. It also has a long-term impact on the environment; it breaks down in the soil and has the potential to reach groundwater, and surface water, which indirectly harms us too.


Pyrethroids are the most common chemical substance found in almost every pest or bug repellent. Pyrethroids include over 1000 types of insecticides prallethrin, Phenothrin, Tetrametherin, Metoflutherin to name a few.

These chemicals are very toxic to aquatic life.

Inert ingredients

These are the other substances that are present in bug repellent along with active ingredients. Inert substance includes fragrance matter, and substance to attract the pest, to name a few.

You might like - How to repel pest naturally?

Symptoms after ingesting toxic repellent

Symptoms of any toxic repellent depend on how you encounter their chemicals. It can have a chronic and acute effect on the human body. Bugs repellent is highly toxic to people with any kind of allergy, or diseases, golden age people, kids, and pregnant women.

Deet effect on human

If Deet is absorbed by the skin and ingested in some way it can result in memory loss, stiffness in joints, skin irritation and blisters, and headaches. Deet can also lead to behavioral and physiological problems especially when it comes to learning and memory.

Pyrethroids and health

Pyrethroids can have acute on humans like asthma, nausea, and burning, and itching sensation. Pyrethroids can be toxic to the central nervous system as well as they can easily pass through the blood-brain barrier.

If you feel any of these reactions or feel nervousness, uneasiness, and difficulty in breathing you should immediately contact the doctor. Don’t wait for the reaction to turn into something very serious, otherwise, it can result in death.

Precaution for using mosquito repellent

  1. It always helps to use any products according to instructions, so carefully read all the mentioned instructions before use. If you are still not sure about how to use the product contact at given help center number.

  2. When you use mosquito repellent make sure that your baby isn’t in the same room.

  3. Do not spray it near the face or skin. Wear full sleeve clothes to protect yourself.

  4. Don’t sleep with coil burning, or switching on the vaporizer all night.

Related - Pesticide exposure on human health









  • Sep 01, 2021
  • Category: Blogs
  • Comments: 0
Leave a comment